One day left to register: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cic-cafe-and-annual-general-meeting-2015-tickets-16972465100
More details on the agenda for this year’s AGM can be found in the flyer below. Tickets are $10, looking forward to seeing you all there on the 29th!
Register here through Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cic-cafe-and-annual-general-meeting-2015-tickets-16972465100
The Chemical Institute of Canada Toronto Section is hosting it’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the Mattamy Athletic Centre (formerly known as the Maple Leaf Gardens) on May 29, 2015 from 5–8 pm. In conjunction with the AGM, CIC Toronto Section is presenting an exciting inaugural event: the CIC Chemistry Café! There will be a guest lecture on “Why chocolate melts in your mouth (not in your hands)” by Professor Dérick Rousseau, as well as a chocolate tasting session by Michael Sacco, owner and founder of ChocoSol. More information on registration will be coming soon, so stay tuned!
The University of Toronto ChemClub, Chemical Institute of Canada-Toronto Chapter, and Ryerson University are co-hosting a career fair scheduled to take place on April 9th from 9:30am-4:00pm at Lash Miller Laboratories (80 St. George Street). Briefly, the purpose of this career fair is to equip chemists with skills and connections required to begin and excel in their careers.
Speakers from a variety of career backgrounds (academia, private sector, non-profit organization) have been invited to give talks or participate in panel discussion on relevant topics. There will also be a lunch/booth session to allow for networking between students and participating companies. Confirmed participating organizations and companies include BASF, Geosyntec Consultants, Inc., Maxxam Analytics, Fluidigm, University of Toronto Career Centre, MITACS, Toronto Research Chemicals, Let’s Talk Science, Northern Biologicals, Bereskin and Parr.
Registration can be done by following this link: http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/career-fair-2015-tickets-16169777239
Hope to see you all there!
Membership Development Position Posting
The Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC) is seeking applicants for the position of Membership Development Coordinator. Under the general direction of the Director, Communications and Marketing, the Coordinator will be responsible for assessing member value programs and retaining and growing membership of students, new graduates and industrial members.
- Implements, evaluates and improves the member recruitment and retention program for membership development, recruitment and retention of students and new graduates.
- Contributes to the creation of communications plans for the CIC’s products and services and evaluates effectiveness. Employs traditional and social media vehicles including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. to communicate messaging and promote programming.
- Generates reports and analyzes data related to recruitment and promotional activities.
- Schedules and completes university visits to increase visibility of CIC with students.
- Contacts and follows-up with prospective members relating the benefits of membership.
- Acts as an ambassador of the CIC and performs all activities in a way that maintains and/or enhances the reputation of the CIC.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Interest and motivation to work in a communications role to promote CIC benefits to members.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English and French.
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining an above average attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and public speaking/customer service experience.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite – Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and social media outlets.
- Graduate chemical science degree preferred.
- Availability to travel within Canada.
- 3-5 years’ work experience in a chemistry related field.
The Chemical Institute of Canada offers a competitive salary and benefits package. This is a three year term position with a possibility of becoming permanent. To apply please forward your résumé with a covering letter by January 16, 2015 to: Chemical Institute of Canada, Director, Communications and Marketing, 550-130 Slater Street, Ottawa, ON K1P 6E2 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A brief reminder for CIC members in the GTA:
Our Annual General Meeting is Thursday, May 29th, 6:30 PM, Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, Music Room. Please register here if you plan to attend!
We will be reviewing the activities and accomplishments from the past year and also nominating a new executive committee for the 2014-2015 year. In addition, we have a special guest speaker, Dr. Daniel Ganesh of Bos Nutrition Services, giving a talk titled “Perspectives of a Feed Industry Animal Nutritionist.”
We hope to see you there!
Are you unsure of how to find a job that utilizes your unique chemistry background? Are you graduating soon and thinking about your career options? Are you thinking about careers outside the world of research and development? Are you looking to maximize your success in future job interviews and presentations?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above questions, we highly recommend that you join us for our first annual Chemistry Career Day! This event will take place on Friday April 25th, 2014 from 9AM-5PM in the Lash Miller Chemistry Building, 80 St. George Street, University of Toronto. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
There will be:
– representatives from over 12 chemical companies and institutions in the GTA
– presentations from young industry professionals about their path to success
– an interactive panel discussion with professionals from industry and academia
– insider tips from communications experts and career educators
This event if free but registration is required. Please register by clicking here. We hope to see you there!
You are cordially invited to participate in the 23rd IUPAC International Conference on Chemistry Education to be held at the University of Toronto from 13-18 July, 2014. This will be the first time since 1989 that this conference has come to Canada.
If you wish to participate, Friday, February 21, 2014 is the Submission Deadline for Oral/Poster Presentations! Please visit http://icce2014.org/abstract.html
*Communicating across the Educational Levels
*Outreach to the Lay Community
*International Student Learning Communities
*Technological Support of Chemistry Learning and Learning Communities
*Greening Attitudes in Chemistry Education
*Research in Chemistry Education
April 3, 2014
Hyatt Regency Hotel, 370 King St. W., Toronto, Ont.
This annual event consists of a business-focused afternoon seminar featuring leaders from industry who highlight current developments along with forecasts for the future of green chemistry and engineering in Canada.
For more information, please visit http://www.cheminst.ca/cicsci
This year’s program includes a number of distinguished speakers including representatives from:
- GreenCentre Canada
- Neoventures Biotechnology Inc.
- Chemical Industry Association of Canada
SCI Canada Awards Dinner
Following the CIC Green, Clean and Sustainable Chemistry Seminar, SCI Canada will be hosting a dinner to honour its award winners.
Curious about the art and science of brewing beer?
We are hosting a Brewery Tour and Sponsor Appreciation Night, taking place On Tuesday, December 10th at the Mill Street Brew Hall in the historic Distillery District. This is a great opportunity to meet some of our sponsors and other local section members while learning about the art and science of brewing from their Brewmaster. Cost is $10 for members and $15 for non members, 1 guest maximum per CIC member. See attached flyer for more information.
To register for this event please click here. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
We encourage you to join us in our final event of the 2013 year! Food and refreshments will be provided.